History of the Alumni Association
In terms of history, we must remember Stevenson University did not begin as Stevenson University. Its roots go back to the founding of Villa Julie College in 1946 as a two-year secretarial college. Even in those early years, graduates formed their own alumni group that held activities, and created a newsletter to keep former classmates connected with the VJC community.
In the 1960’s, the alumni became a dues-paying organization. Dues were set at $7.00 a year, were later raised to $15.00, and then finally eliminated in 1976. Over the next forty years, alumni served as advisors to the President, held events like the Fashion Show and an Anniversary Ball to celebrate Villa Julie’s 25th anniversary, worked with students on community service projects, and reached out to classmates with phone-a-thons and class reunions.
Meanwhile, VJC had evolved into a dramatically different type of higher-education institution, signified by a change in name in 2007 to Stevenson University. During that time, alumni were involved in the development of the strategic plan, and expanded their influence through representation on the President’s Advisory Council and the Board of Trustees.
Currently, the Alumni Association has twenty-nine board members and six associate board members serving on five committees: athletics, awards and nominations, communications, events, and the executive committee. The Association serves SU’s over 12,500 alumni including a young alumni base, with 75% having graduated since 1990, and 53% since 2000.
The Alumni Association will continue to plan, implement and lead efforts to connect our growing alumni base to Stevenson University and to each other.